Monday, October 24, 2011

Options of Schooling

This week I got the pleasure of experiencing a kind of tutorial of online schooling. When I first heard we were going to have a speaker talk to us about online schooling I was less than thrilled. My impression of online schooling was that the students didn’t work very hard and the teachers didn’t have to do much. I didn’t love the idea of a class not meeting together for school. After hearing Beth Day talk about how close she was with her students and how much she loved being an online school teacher, my opinion was altered. She knows the stories of many of her students and sets up times to talk with them one on one. This was she can discuss personal or school related problems with all of her students at a time that is convenient to all involved. Beth also mentioned that she would send two of her girls to public school and one to online school if she was to send them at the current moment. Her one daughter currently has a feeding tube and Beth wouldn’t feel comfortable sending her to kindergarten until she was well. I had never viewed online school as a way to protect and help your child, only as a way to shelter your child. The tutorial helped me to see another side of online schooling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment