Saturday, November 5, 2011

Gender and Technology

Does technology eliminate gender bias in schools? In my experience it does. Both genders were given equal access to all technology. In my high school there were several labs and several sets of wireless laptops. Because the class sizes every students was given access to a computer. I have never noticed any gender preference in reference to technology. Most speculation is that boys are given more access to technology and I believe these accusations are false. I was never deprived of anything based on my gender. We all had access to the printers, computers, video equipment, etc.  
Technology works the same no matter who is using it.  A computer isn’t going to work better because a girl or boy is using it. Technology has no preference to its user. Where a teacher might show preference to one gender, technology cannot do this. It offers information, tools, and help just as it is supposed to, to all who use it. Throughout my schooling all of my peers went through the same technology classes and learned the same things about technology. We all had the same instruction. No one was given special treatment. In my opinion the claim that technology causes gender bias is empty. 

2 comments:

  1. i liked that you put your expirences with technology and gender equality in there. our school wasn't huge on technology and it was hard for me to really relate to think prompt. but it was good to see your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked that you used your own experiences to prove your point. I think a lot of people have a hard time really backing themselves up because they do not have the experience and personal knowledge required to prove themselves.

    ReplyDelete